Re: [teacherartexchange] FW: 85 min for 7th and 8th graders

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 05 2010 - 10:15:48 PDT

Jim - Sounds like you have a block schedule - I never had the
opportunity to try one out.
I dreamed and planned but no such luck. I once observed 3 mid schools
that did and was
disappointed to see them just teaching the same but longer. As I
dreamed - I would
have had time to do a decent introduction to a problem with exemplars
and motivation,
the students would have time to work and after clean up we might even
have had time for
closure. I envy the opportunity you have.
                                                        Woody

On Sep 5, 2010, at 9:22 AM, San D Hasselman wrote:

> This is for Jim who asked if there is a way to deal with the 85 min
> period with 7th and 8th graders.
>
> I would do "altered books". When I did "altered books", each student
> would take a used book, and change the cover and the back cover and
> the end sheets, by establishing a theme and making art on those
> parts that establishes the theme. They would keep the books on a
> designated shelf. When they were done with their current assignment,
> they would go over to the shelf and pick up someone else's book, and
> make a double page spread in the book, based on the theme that was
> established on the overs and endsheets. The books were there all
> year, and available for students all year. In that way they had
> "choice" and an established theme to work with.
>
> San D

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
         mailto:woodyduncan@comcast.net

Join me as a friend on facebook: