[teacherartexchange] Fall Tip In Exchange - Theme: Behind the Mask - 6 single pages

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Sep 04 2010 - 07:55:06 PDT

Greetings Art Educators,

Altered Book Tip In pages give you a chance to "do a little art". As a
retired art teacher, I don't have much of a need to "do art". Making
art to sell was never something I wanted to do. Art is personal for me
- and a gift (I give away my art).

We do have a group for the fall exchange. I let the small group decide
the overall theme - and requirements.

Here are the specifications.

Theme: Behind the Mask (can be interpreted any way you wish).
Format: Single page - front and back - 5.5" w x 8.5" h (slightly
smaller doesn't hurt - but don't go larger as they are too big for
tipping in to most books - and larger won't fit in my special box I am
designing for my own pages)
Quantity for the exchange: Six pages - send me 5 (we all found out
last summer that doing 10 was too much)
Media: Anything goes!
Include return postage for Priority Mail (either a stamp or paid
return address label). Do NOT include the cardboard mailer (If your
mailing envelope can not be re-used - I will pick up the mailers. It
is better not to have them bent or folded). You may send to me any way
you wish, but please do not send Express Mail (it always makes me feel
bad when folks go to that expense).
Priority Mail has been by far the easiest way to go. It may cost you
an additional dollar or two - but it is well worth the time saving for
me (smile).

I haven't started putting mine together - so it may spread to two
pages. If you prefer working on facing pages - you still need to do
something on the front and back for this exchange. Since there are
more than enough members already, you can send me fewer than 5 pages
if you get "in a pinch" rather than dropping out.

The only big rule I enforce is that your pages can not be color
photocopies of your own original. Much of mine is done with computer
printed images - but all pages have "my hand" in them. Photography and
digital work is fine - and - YES, you can do the same thing for all
six pages. Often it takes me days to design the first page/pages.
Following that as a guide, I can complete each additional in a matter
of hours (My last series, once the original was set - which I planned
over several days - took over 40 hours to complete. Others were able
to get theirs done in less time).

Nice - but not required - is a page explaining the personal meaning of
your pages and technique used. I generally add a separate page, but
for this exchange, I am going to play with an idea I learned from
Ellen - adding a pocket to the back side an slipping in the "meanings"
page. Mine might even be in a small book form? Don't know yet. My own
personal meaning keeps going back and forth from a positive (as a
means to show off my GORGEOUS new Baule mask) - to a sort of negative
(those who hide behind a mask).

I will keep the group open for one more week - the group will be
finalized next weekend. Mailing to me won't be until January (or even
February) - I am much more flexible with this exchange. My August was
very busy this summer - hence the request for a July date.

Reply to me OFF- LIST (jdecker4art -ending in- gmail.com - of course,
don't forget the @)

Full name:
Email address:
Home address:
Phone (only used if necessary):
Email addresses get sent out to the group - but not home addresses.

I have another idea for a spring exchange, too -- and yes - one for
summer, so more exchanges will be offered if you can't join this one.

I really LOVE having international members, but postage is a problem.
My advice for those outside the US is to offer an exchange in your own
countries with art teachers in your community. I can help you get
started.

Regards,

Judy Decker