Re:[teacherartexchange] Art from different cultures

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Sep 03 2010 - 08:46:28 PDT

Hi Gabrielle and All,

Posting to the list as others might be interested, too.

Check ArtsConnect-Ed (I think that is what it is called) - and
Minneapolis Institute of Art. There used to be some EXCELLENT online
presentations from which you could grab ideas.

The most important aspect of teaching art from other cultures is to
focus on MEANING. It isn't just "pretty stuff to look at" -- and may
not "match your sofa" (grin). Also - do not sidestep art about
religion. Very important to cover that when teaching art from other
cultures - a primary REASON for their art. I won't get around to it
today - but will look up some links I had on teaching multicultural
art. Art teachers' jobs should not be threatened for covering a big
part of their curriculum. Something needs to change. Stand up for what
is right.

I am swamped right now with obligations, so don't have time to Google
for you. You will find a lot of good stuff "out there" on Museum
sites.

A very good lesson is "out there" - on cultural/ethnic self-portraits
(good for advanced students). Done right - it can be a very good
learning experience - and can be done very respectfully. Done wrong?
It could be very offensive to other cultures. AP list went round and
round about the lesson a few years ago (many narrow minds, I guess). I
know the author was disappointed that folks didn't "get it".

My house is full of cultural art - purchased for the meaning as much
of for their beauty.

Blessings,

Judy Decker

As always - do not post my email address if you reply to the list.
Delete my address (and all member addresses) before you click "Send".
Your efforts have greatly reduced the Spam I receive on this account.