RE:[teacherartexchange] participation grades

---------

From: Karen Mitchell (KLMitchell_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 29 2009 - 04:51:14 PDT

When I do progress grades, I decide what percentage of the project they
should have completed by that class, and then create a scale that I
carry around when I look at their projects.

For example, when I do paper-mache, I'll give a progress grade when the
armature should be finished, so if it is done they get a 100, if it is
almost done - 90, about 3/4 complete - 80, about 2/3 complete - 70,
about 1/2 complete - 55/60.

This helps remove some of the subjectivity from it - the kids can't say
"You don't like me, so you gave me a 70!" I can point to their work and
say that today they were supposed to at X point to get a 100, etc.

Hope this helps!
Karen Mitchell
Pasadena High School
Pasadena, TX

Subject: participation grades
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 14:17:32 -0400

Those of you who use these daily progress participation grades, do you
have rubrics that you use? Or a checklist of some sort?