RE: [teacherartexchange] Help with Wayne Thiebaud lesson

---------

From: Sears, Ellen (ELLEN.SEARS_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Sep 28 2009 - 19:04:37 PDT

I have been thinking about what you want to do - for some reason I
thought one of my collage books mentioned paint with spackle - but when
I googled it said it would flake off...

Cake decorators would make flowers etc., separately - maybe the kids
could make flowers and things to add to the cake... or build up areas
with toilet paper and glue. Or maybe they could build up the base
(cardboard, tissue...)
(maintenance guy is cleaning my room... he said spackling would work...
he also said go by one Home Depot or Lowes - there is always new
stuff... he used to work in construction)

This was on a painting site:
Hello

Well yes and no! Yes you can add DRY spackle powder to paint to thicken
it up to achieve a texture type paint, and also yes you can add this to
your paint that has been tinted. However I still recommend that once you
create your texture effect on the wall, come back and apply at least one
coat of just paint over the top. This will seal up the texture and
protect it, because when you mix the spackle with the paint the finish
is going to be very porous and will fingerprint and scuff very easy. Now
to me, I think its much easier to buy a textured paint already premixed.
It usually comes in a 2-gallon bucket, its smooth or has sand in it, and
not only do you not have to mess of mixing your own you also will be
sure to get same consistancy every time which will make your job a
little easier. Still recommend painting over this!
Good luck! Let me know how you do or if I can be of any more help to you
with this.

There was one that mentioned joint compound:

Yes, we just built a playroom and used a 5 gallon bucket of joint
compound to texture the walls. Thin it out a little adding extra water
(just a little) then use a deep nap roller to roll it on (it will help
you build up your arm muscles). Then take a mud knife and run it over
the texturing lightly to level out the high spots. The playroom looks
great but I suggest trying out some test peices before you get to the
real thing so you know how to make it all work. Let me know if you use
this and how it turns out

I did find this site - looks fun:
http://www.nga.gov/education/classroom/interactive/cake.htm