Re: [teacherartexchange] help ordering clay...

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (SMILLER_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Sep 28 2009 - 13:50:52 PDT

Hi Paulette, I would try to find a local supplier for clay--I drive 3
hours to a big
city to get clay--the cost of shipping is often more than the clay
itself. I would
recommend that you use low fire cone 05 clay--it's way cheaper to fire
and the
kids aren't going to be making sets of dishes anyway. I have always
made coffee cups
out of low fire clay and they are fine--use the dishwasher and
everything. There is
a huge array of glazes for cone 05--there are underglaze watercolors
also so the
students can really experiment. I fire greenware and glazed pots in
the same load
which saves tons of time and money. Most people will tell you this
isn't a good idea,
but it works for me with no problems. I keep the clay in old 5 gal.
buckets and
recycle constantly. I use the old clay boxes to make cardboard squares
that the
kids put their work on--heavy stuff might need wood, but I got some of
that from
the shop teacher. I keep all the bags the clay comes in and use it for
storage of
kids' work. I have students turn their greenware in on a shelf by the
kiln. I put
it in the kiln right away, and when it's full I turn it on all night
with the lid open and then
I fire the next day. That way I don't worry about whether it's dry
completely--it will
be by the next day. Let me know if you have specific questions. Sid

>>> paulette keck <paulettekeck@hotmail.com> 9/28/2009 5:18 AM >>>

Hello there LIST,

I am lucky enough to be in a brand new
building this year with more equipment than anticipated. I teach 6th
grade art at an arts middle school and I have the room that will
become
the high school art room as we grow into a 6-12 school. We have
pottery
wheels and drying cabinets and 2 small to medium front loading kilns.
While I don't think we'll get into using the wheels this year, I want
to order a clay that can be used for both hand building and throwing
so
I can build up a consistent program.

Its been 10 years since I
taught ceramics of any kind. I typically order out of the Sax catalog,
but am somewhat dumbfounded when I look at all the options. I know I
need some bats, a storage container and clay. What would you suggest?

Thanks so much for your help.

Paulette
Bronx Studio School for Writers & Artists