RE: [teacherartexchange] help ordering clay...

---------

From: San D Hasselman (shasselman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Sep 28 2009 - 05:42:50 PDT

Here's what I would get to start a studio. And by the way check your local artisans they might be able to tell you where the local clay supplier is. We order in-state, shipping is cheaper and you are dealing with someone that you can talk to over the phone.

Kiln supplies:
shelves
shelf wash
cones (check your clay to see what cone you need to fire the clay)
stilts to hold up shelves
small holders to hold up pottery
gloves

Clay supplies
earthenware clay (without grog) (white) wheel work
earthenware clay (red) handbuilding
wedging boards (you can make these yourselves)
piano wire to cut clay
clay tools (loop, fettling)
rolling pins
needle tools
small sponges
containers for water
plastic bags to store work
small boards as bases to put work on to transport (we used cafeteria trays).
canvas
burlap
(bats are a luxury item, you can teach kids how to cut off the pot from wheel and get pot lifters to remove the work)

spackle buckets to store clay in (you can get these free at your local bakery I think icing or something comes in them)

glazes
Buy glazes already mixed either from Sax (then make sure it is compatable with your clay body) or from the supplier.
brushes
large bowls to put work over if you decide to pour glazes, then the bowl captures glaze for you to pour back into container
underglazes
clear transparent glaze
wax resist (only if you are ready for the smells)

that's all I can remember at this time. I haven't taught ceramics in over 20 years.

San D