[teacherartexchange] Sergant Resigns From NEA:

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Sep 26 2009 - 09:02:48 PDT

 From my blog:

Sergant Resigns From NEA:
            “This afternoon Yosi Sergant submitted his resignation
from the National Endowment for the Arts. His resignation has been
accepted and is effective immediately.” (NEA Press Release)
              Sergant had been under scrutiny after leading a
controversial conference call on August 10, where he encouraged
artists to create work to promote the Obama administration’s agenda.
The talk show host, Glenn Beck, accused Sergant of arranging an August
conference call with the White House Office of Public Engagement and
United We Serve to recruit artists to create works in support of Obama
policies. The NEA has denied that the call was inappropriate, and the
White House has said that it did not force Sergant's reassignment.
            Some background: In the 2009 campaign - Sergant engaged
artists from across the globe in a vast viral movement in support of
Barack Obama, the most visible of which is the now ubiquitous campaign
he created with artist Shepard Fairey. Now he is thrown under the bus
- congrats to Glenn Beck. Who is next ?
            For those who care - here is the full text of the
conference call. Sergant was encouraging artists around the country to
create art that promoted the presidents agenda like: community
involvement, volunteering, health care, etc. I guess that's
propaganda, but what's new about that. I grown up in America seeing
this propaganda all the time - from movies about the glories of
fighting the japanese to supporting the glory of our national parks -
all designed to promote the national agenda.
             My art has never been political - not until now - I'm
ready now to embed political content into my watercolors. Perhaps
other artists will be encouraged to promote social causes now too -
Thank You Glenn Beck.
                                                                Woody

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
         mailto:woodyduncan@comcast.net