[teacherartexchange] art day

---------

From: jeryl HOLLINGSWORTH (hollingsworth005_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Sep 24 2009 - 17:59:06 PDT

We have been doing art day at our school for years. It does get hard getting the artists! I send a letter home to parents explaining the day and asking for volunteers =parents, grandparents, neighbors,etc. We also ask our business partners if they will let employees come for the day. I also ask for parents who just want to volunteer for the day. We get some really interesting presenters- grandparents who weave, paint, square dance (we do an arts day - music, art, dance,etc. The local senior citizens have a Senior Follies and they come for free. Some local working artists will come for free if I don't have funding and on good years when I have some funds they know they will get paid. Some of them will work on a project that they plan to sell and let the kids watch as they work- that way they aren't really "wasting" a whole day.I also contact local universities to see if groups or students can come. I know some schools that ask for a $1 fee from students
 to cover some of the cost for the day. Our high school usually sends their jazz band over. I plan an art activity for students that parents can do with each grade level. Roylco has some great craft type art stuff that can be easily made in a class time. The kids like to have something to make after a lot of sitting while they watch artists. I added something this year after watching some presentations at the NAEA convention. My oldest kids, 6th graders, did a puppet show for the younger classes (kdg, 1st) They worked in groups to construct puppets, backdrops, make up the script,practice and perform. They did this as their last unit for the year. It turned out really well and I will do it again this year.
       Just some ideas-
             Jeryl