[teacherartexchange] K-8 planner help

---------

From: Holmgren (holmgren_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Sep 19 2009 - 14:31:07 PDT

Hi Roshanda,

Here is what I do for my 25 k-2 classes a week. I make a chart with the
date of each Monday on the left side--then a section across for each of the
grades I teach. I write down a general description of what I am doing, or
planning to do, at each grade level that week. Of course it doesn't work
out perfectly, for all the reasons you know well, but it gives me a general
sense, and helps in planning out the year and looking at the big picture.

The most important thing I do to keep track of all the classes is pretty
simple, really. I have a folder for each day of the week--color coded, in
which I keep a stapled set of papers for each class that meets on that
day--class list, seating chart, etc. On the inside of that folder, I put
post-it-notes. I write on the post-it-note the date, then a brief
description of what I did at each grade level on that day. If one class
doesn't get along as far, or doesn't meet because of a field trip or
something, I note that, as well. I continue to add post-it-notes as they get
used up (I write small, can usually get at least 3 weeks worth on one 2"x2"
note) I just overlap them. I can look back quickly, if need be and check
("hmm, did I show that video to my Tuesday classes? nope--o.k., I'll do it
now'...etc.) Of course--I do have to remember to READ my posit-it-notes.
It is so annoying to have a class come, and I start teaching them
something--that I did last week. Or--set up for the wrong project--you may
know what I mean, already. All because I didn't read my post-it note.

Anyway--works for me.

Mary H.
MN