Re:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: September 17, 2009

---------

From: Lois Girbino (lgirbino_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Sep 18 2009 - 05:52:24 PDT

Re: Keeping Track/"Projects"

All the suggestions are pretty incredible, but the thing that works
for me is a curriculum map, with an "essential concept" for each
month, linked to standards, integrations and links--all on that one
page (it is a Word chart I customized). I also keep detailed unit
lessons in a Word format on multiple jump drives, printing out what I
need as I need them, as I like to tweak ideas each year. I keep
samples on a shelf in my art closet (some are pretty large or 3D). One
page, week-at-a-glance on my desk to make it easy for subs & notes
like who was absent, class missed art due to an assembly, etc....I
have found that giving the students an essential concept across the
grade levels (I teach 3-4-5 art) is very helpful in building upon
prior knowledge, and I also "spiral", meaning I will hit important
things like using line or perspective more than once, and in each
grade level. Plus, if you give students choices within a "concept",
they seem to get the learning target, as opposed to treating art class
like a "make & take".
Lois G.