Re: [teacherartexchange] K-8 Planner Help

---------

From: Denise Pannell (cen_aca_dp_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Sep 17 2009 - 15:20:48 PDT

Hello! Fellow Ohio art teacher here.
I use binders for each grade level to keep the actual lesson plans that I write up. In the front of the binder is an index of the lessons that I am doing for the year.
For example:

Fourth Grade 2009-2010
1. Name Kaleidoscopes- marker
2. Native American Pottery- mixed media collage- Social Studies & Art
3. Leaves- Air dry clay & Magic Metallics- Science & Art
4. Aminah Robinson Quilts- sewing project- Ohio Artist
5. Romare Bearden- collage- Music & Art
6. Art Career Postage Stamp- Sharpie marker
7. Winter Birch Trees- watercolor
8. Musical Mandalas- CDs & Sharpie Marker- Art & Math
9. Picasso Portraits- printing
10. Woodburning or Texture Board- gouache
11. Andy Warhol Color Theory Animals- tempera
12. Natasha Wescoat Flowers- colored pencil drawing
13. Elijah Pierce- Assemblage- Ohio Artist
14. Clay- Cityscapes
15. Tech- Black & White with a Touch of Color- Digital Photography
16. Tech- iMovie & Garage band

These are the lessons I hope to cover in the year- of course, we know that doesn't always happen! I keep the lesson plans, handouts, small photos or examples, all in these binders, in clear sleeves, so that they can be removed if necessary. Large examples are kept in big portfolios.

For the day to day lesson plans, I still use the standard "teacher issued lesson plan book" and write down what step of the lesson we are doing on that day. With fourth grade, for example, we are working on the Name Kaleidoscopes, so my lesson plans (in the little square) for today looked like this:

- finish coating the back of the name square with Ebony
- fold large white paper into fourths
- transfer name designs to large square paper
- trace in black Sharpie

My principal knows about my binders at this point, but only makes me turn in my lesson plan book. Less work for her, I guess. :)
I hope that answers your question- I kinda wrote a lot of info here!