Re: [teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: September 13, 2009

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 15 2009 - 11:02:17 PDT

As I retired - Collaboration was the big buzz word - students were to
work in diverse groups and help everyone in the group succeed. They
were divided into teams of 3 or 4 and switched roles. Everyone was
expected to learn as a team. The methods of applying the concept was
taught in weekly inservice training. As an art teacher, I had
always taught cooperation in my classes and depended on students
to help others whenever possible. I never included it in the grade -
it's
just something you do as part of a sharing community.
                                                Woody

On Sep 15, 2009, at 10:31 AM, Kimberly Ans wrote:

> I have a question about "part of their grade is that everyone at the
> table has to finish" how are you working that into the marking. Is
> everyone required to demonstrate that they have helped someone else? I
> only ask because in my school district basing any part of a students
> mark on another student is a BIG no-no so I wonder how you plan on
> working this type of assessment. Don't get me wrong I think that
> cooperative learning in the art room is natural and potentially a
> great teaching and learning tool but I would have a difficult time
> convincing my admin to allow basing any part of a student mark on
> whether or not another student at their table finished their work.
>
> Kim
>

> "My grand experiment this year is getting students to work more
> cooperatively in jewelry. Part of their grade is that everyone at the
> table has to finish. I find I
> have a number of students who pick things up quicker but the rest of
> the class just sits and
> waits for private instruction from me. I am trying to get everyone to
> be a teacher."
>
> ---
> To unsubscribe go to

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque