Re:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: September 13, 2009

---------

From: Kimberly Ans (kans_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 15 2009 - 09:31:19 PDT

I have a question about "part of their grade is that everyone at the
table has to finish" how are you working that into the marking. Is
everyone required to demonstrate that they have helped someone else? I
only ask because in my school district basing any part of a students
mark on another student is a BIG no-no so I wonder how you plan on
working this type of assessment. Don't get me wrong I think that
cooperative learning in the art room is natural and potentially a
great teaching and learning tool but I would have a difficult time
convincing my admin to allow basing any part of a student mark on
whether or not another student at their table finished their work.

Kim

"My grand experiment this year is getting students to work more
cooperatively in jewelry.  Part of their grade is that everyone at the
table has to finish. I find I
have a number of students who pick things up quicker but the rest of
the class just sits and
waits for private instruction from me. I am trying to get everyone to
be a teacher."