Re: [teacherartexchange] Umbrellas In Bryce Canyon:

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 13 2009 - 09:01:41 PDT

After I began the painting "Umbrellas at Bryce Canyon" it began to
bring back some early art historical images to mind. C W Mc Waid (my
Jr High art teacher) showed us the image by Van Gogh and told us that
he used a japanese print as a reference. Strange how these things
connect over all these years. Van Gogh was copying a woodcut by
Utagawa Hiroshige - at first I assumed it was Hokusai but now I know.
It's an important point to realize that what art teachers expose their
students stick with them for a lifetime.
                                                                Woody

On Sep 12, 2009, at 7:12 PM, mwhiteec@cablemodem.com.ec wrote:

> Hokkusai

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque