Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

[teacherartexchange] wedging clay

From: San D Hasselman (shasselman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Sep 11 2009 - 07:24:52 PDT

Easiest way to wedge clay:
Take clay and make a brick out of it by pounding all six sides. In other words, slam it down on the floor making one side, rotate it 1/4 turn, slam it and make another "side", rotate it 1/4 turn, make another "side" turn it 1/4 turn and make the last side of the brick. Then slam both ends down one at a time. Keep doing this rotation for 3 times. (I use the floor, but you certainly can slam on a counter or table). Then when you cut it in half to check for airbubbles, viola, no air bubbles. Beats trying to explain to them the wedging process,and works every time.
San D
> does anyone have helpful tips for teaching wedging clay?? i demonstrate and explain and guide practice but it seems to not be working.

To unsubscribe go to