[teacherartexchange] Questions on AP Art and Art 1 lesson ideas

---------

From: Elaine McDaniel (mcdaniee_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Sep 05 2009 - 10:05:12 PDT

Hi Everyone,

School is right around the corner for us in Michigan. I have been trying and trying to get this email to go through for a couple days now. I hope this works finally! This year I wanted to change things around in my Advanced Placement class. I was hoping that someone would be willing to share some successful AP lessons with me.

I start the year off with Drawing (teaching Betty Edwards lessons and then moving on to different mediums in drawing). Then, we move onto the concentration portion of their portfolio second trimester. Last year I found that someof my students were not as motivated as the year before. They could not come up with their own ideas when we would work on the concentration section of the portfolio. I was wondering how other AP teachers approach their AP class. Do you have specific projects and due dates when working on the concentration? This year I have a great group of students and I want to keep them motivated.

Any ideas for lessons would be greatly appreciated.

Now onto Art 1 - This is my 4th year teaching, but this year I just found out that I will have low 40's and high 30's in every Art 1 class. Our Foods teacher left and the school did not hire anyone back. Therefore we only have Art, Drama and Band as electives. It is unbelievable!

My questions with this were - Any lesson ideas that would be possible for Art 1 (with class sizes this big)?
I have lessons already set up, but I am looking for some variety and new ideas now.

Also wondering what some teachers do on those first days of school with their classes? Usually I do a miniature still life. The students bring in objects that relate to themselves in one way or another and then they present their objects. This helps me get to know them. Then we work on key terms and draw from these objects. I just wanted to hear what others do.

I greatly appreciate it.
I haven't been on here in a long while. I know so many questions

Thanks,
Elaine - MI