[teacherartexchange] Mock Copyright Trial -- with a twist

---------

From: Rebecca Burch (mamallama_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Sep 03 2009 - 06:38:11 PDT

Hi, all! I just wanted to share an idea with those of you who teach
copyright and fair use in your classes.

For the past few years, I've done Craig Roland's super-cool webquest,
"Innocent or Guilty: Deciding the Fate of Sherrie Levine," (link:
http://artjunction.org/levine_index.php ) with great results every
time. This year, I tweaked the lesson a bit to instead try Shepard
Fairey (creator of the iconic Obama "Hope" poster) for
misappropriation against the Associated Press and Mannie Garcia, who
took the photo that Fairey used to create his poster.

This is a real case, and it's really current, so students are familiar
with it, already. I have high schoolers, so we listened to Fairey's
interview on NPR's Fresh Air, and then I assigned roles, just as in
the webquest, and we went from there. Each kid researched the
information and developed his or her case, and on Tuesday, we go to
trial! Everyone is excited.

I didn't write up a proper lesson plan but I would be glad to share my
resources if anyone else wants to try it. All my links are here:

http://delicious.com/cchsburch

--
Carpe You Some Diem!
Website:  http://www.rebeccaburch.com