Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: [teacherartexchange] Colored pencil help

From: sfrank (sfrank_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Sep 29 2008 - 06:28:13 PDT

Donna - I have had the same problem regarding colored pencils. I have found
that it is not the name brand. I have two (2) rules: 1. All colored pencils
must be sharpened with a 'hand-held' pencil sharpener; 2. Students are not
allowed to sharpened them to a fine point, as they will just break; the colored
pencils are sharpened slightly, and resharpened as needed.

Hope this helps you - Susie

Quoting Donna Pumphrey <>:

> All righty then. I am having colored pencil issues. The kids dearly love to
> color with them but I have found.
> A.) If you sharpen them in the electric pencil sharpener they clog up the
> electric pencil sharpener. If you sharpen them in the other pencil sharpener
> then some of them are too soft and they crumble.
> B.) Some of them are not made on center and when they are shapened they will
> not sharpen.
> C.) They get used up really quickly.
> I bought Faber Castel, because I thought it was the quality of the pencils I
> was using at school, but they are the same way.
> The former art teacher bought Crayola Twisters, but then the kids break them
> and the pencil part falls out.
> I am about to outlaw all colored pencils from the artroom, unless I can
> resolve these issues.
> I'd like some advice please.
> Donna Pumphrey
> Harmony/Union Grove
> Art
> + I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any
> other way--things I had no words for.-Georgia O'Keefe
> --- Scanned by M+ Guardian Messaging Firewall ---
> ---
> To unsubscribe go to

To unsubscribe go to