Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: [teacherartexchange] red light, green light cards for student to ask for help

From: Melissa Enderle (melissaenderle_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 23 2008 - 18:23:30 PDT

I use the cup method in the computer lab. It works great if you
reinforce it. I tell them that I can only see cups - can't hear
"Miss....teacher" and can't see people out of their seats or tugging
at me. They promptly sit down and put up their cup and I come to help.
Using the cups also allows the kids to continue working while waiting
for you. Less noise and less getting out of their seats makes a room
with lots of kids or a small room less chaotic.

On Sep 24, 2008, at 6:19 AM, wrote:

> Hey Everyone....
> For the first time I am teaching two classes of 33-8th Grade
> Students. Most
> of them non-diagnosed Special Ed. but we have a high population of
> low
> skilled students. So far, I have only had some huge disorganization
> and lots of
> unfocused students who just can't seem to concentrate on what I am
> trying to
> teach. Unfortunately, I can't blame them....the class is HUGE.
> Anyway, since we
> have been working on our first project, which is a simple bookbag
> contour
> drawing in black and white, my students have been shouting my name
> from all
> angles of the room to get my attention. Which has been driving me
> nuts....because
> its IMPOSSIBLE for me to see the kids who aren't demanding my
> attention but
> need it.
> I was thinking of developing a card that had a green side and a red
> side.
> When a student has there card on the green side, they need to wait
> until I come
> over, and when its red they dont need me.
> I ate at a brazilian steak house in NYC that had this system for
> serving
> food.
> Any suggestions? Push backs? Ideas on how this could work?
> Thanks!!!
> Terri

To unsubscribe go to