[teacherartexchange] Crafts - Final exam

---------

From: Margaret Angstadt (mangstadt_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Sep 22 2008 - 11:22:14 PDT

I also teach high school students International Crafts. Some years we
"travel" to Mexico, Latin America, and points south. Other years we
travel from country to country in the diverse continent of Africa.
Some years it's simple a "world survey" course.

For the final exam in the "world survey" students create and present a
personal crafts piece that reflects their family, their heritage or
their lifestyle, using personal/family artifacts and all materials
used must be recycled, that is using the materials at hand. They may
use the paints, beads, and other materials available in our art
department to surface or embellish. They are to provide evidence in
this piece that they can apply craft skills learned during the
semester to their personal work.

Students are required to keep a journal (visual & written) of their
work, including photos of work-in-progress. They have 2.5 weeks of
work (at school and home) to complete the piece. Work is presented
individually to the class in the final exam period (1.5 hours). Work
is critiqued using standards and technical/creative criteria.
Students use a rubric to self assess. Their grade (50%) plus my grade
(50%) = their exam grade. Critique comments are "plusses" that can
raise or lower grade.

Hope this helps
Peggy