RE: [teacherartexchange] art print database creation

---------

From: San D Hasselman (shasselman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Sep 22 2008 - 08:51:21 PDT

My father collected over 70,000 postcards in his life time and had made a data base that divided them up into categories. While his categories wouldn't work for you, you could establish your own. His postcards were filed in numbered boxes, and those numbers were also in the data base. So if he had a post card that had images of Coca Cola on it from 1898, with a certain artist, it would be catelogued accordingly with the postcard's number appearing in the subject, date, and artist categories. So if someone asked him if he had Coca Cola cards, he could go to the boxes and pick them out, same with other designations. He was 70 when he started entering all the information into his database. So once you have it set up, it is just a matter of doing it. If you don't know how to do spreadsheets, have someone show you how to do it.

San D