Re:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: September 21, 2008

---------

From: Casey McCullough (cmccullough_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Sep 22 2008 - 07:16:22 PDT

Subject: middle school color theory
From: "gabyleigh@netzero.net" <gabyleigh@netzero.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 00:36:00 GMT

I was wondering if anyone had some advice on how far I should go with teaching color thery to 8th grade students. In high school I have them do tints, shades, tones and monochromatic,, complimentary, analougous, etc. I don't really think this is appropriate for the younger students. What do you all think?

Thanks,

Gaby

I intro complementary, primary, secondary and intermediate to 7th and review and add analgous and monochromatic in 8th. 8th then does a color scheme painting with modrian and a monochromatic self portrait. its hard for some and others are bored i think so maybe you are right to question it. but i feel like these are basic words and concepts and they have heard most of them since elementary and still dont know and i know for sure they cover them in high school art. but a lot of my students dont get to take high school art so i figure cover as much as i can to give those people a chance to be ahead of the game in high school and others atleast have been introduced to it. c