Re:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: September 19, 2008

---------

From: Casey McCullough (cmccullough_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Sep 22 2008 - 07:05:04 PDT

>>> "TeacherArtExchange Discussion Group digest" <teacherartexchange@lists.pub.getty.edu> 9/20/2008 3:00 AM >>>
TEACHERARTEXCHANGE Digest for Friday, September 19, 2008.

1. Re: Files on students

Subject: what do you do about too loud voice level??
From: MICHELLE MOLNAR <mmolnar1@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 11:23:05 -0700

Hello!

I teaching high school ceramics and have been having problems with too loud voice levels during studio time. I've been giving the whole class a warning and then if the voice level doesn't change, I make it silent time the remainder of the period and give detentions to those that are talking. However, this isn't working. I still have to do this very frequently. Do you have any ideas for how to maintain a quiet, workable environment during studio time?

Thanks!!

> I teaching high school ceramics and have been having problems with too loud voice levels during studio time. I've been giving the whole class a warning and then if the voice level doesn't change, I make it silent time the remainder of the period and give detentions to those that are talking. However, this isn't working. I still have to do this very frequently. Do you have any ideas for how to maintain a quiet, workable environment during studio time?
>
> Thanks!!

I am not a pro by any means but i copied the ART sign from incredible art and then called it the silent work sign. then if i say anything else to a student their name goes up on the board to stay a minute after class and then another warning is a detention. they also get in trouble for tardies so if they have to stay after class they can potentially get a detention anyway.. i also use the radio as a bribe but the volume is very low and if i cant hear it over voices- it goes off. if it got real serious i would toss their projects in a bucket and hand them an article to read and summerize that teaches the same concepts as your lesson. clay is expensive and if students are going to waste your time and materials then they dont deserve the privilage of working with the media. obviously this is last ditch... i try to be more positive.. like noticing students working good. offering incentives for good cleaners or something.. sometimes i throughout candy if i catch people doing good things extraordinary (behav
iorly)