RE: [teacherartexchange] Crafts Final Project

---------

From: San D Hasselman (shasselman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Sep 22 2008 - 03:14:33 PDT

I have two suggestions that I have done when I taught crafts and an exam was required.

1. They had to take a space in their house and design a crafts studio. They were challenged to think of everything that might be in that studio, (and they made a list that was part of their grade),and "house" it somewhere in the studio, plus have work space and display space. I thought this type of project was appropo as it taught them what it means to be an artist in the real world (having to rearrange a space in your home to be functional as a studio). The final outcome was a bit like an architectural board, with before pictures of their room, and after 'drawings', including the list of what would be in their studio. You, as the teacher, need to make a list ahead of time (220 electricity, source of water, adequate lighting, drawers for large tools, handy hooks for tools, extension cords, large table to work on etc) so that you have something as a guage to go by.

2. We were allowed to have the students work on the project in class, so a month (or so) before the exam they would start their project in class. I would take ordinary words and put them in a hat, and each student would have to come up and pick a word out of the hat. They had to write a thesis statement on what their intent would be to create a piece of art (functional or non functional) using a combination of at least 3 of the techniques they had learned that semester. This shows me that they understand that artists DO create thesis statements (which is always a focus of my class, and that they can manipulate materials that I showed them how to use in ways OTHER than the project I had assigned).

San D