RE: [teacherartexchange] what do you do about too loud voice level??

---------

From: Pokojski, Kelly (Kelly-Pokojski_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 21 2008 - 12:35:51 PDT

Michelle,

I think the IPOD suggestions are great, in my room I have a rowdy 8th
grade class of only boys who do not chose to go to art it is required.
We give demerits, 10 = detention, and it doesn't always work.

They can also earn points towards a movie and popcorn day.

What has worked is taking time back during recess and lunch. If they, as
a group, are loud they give me a minute for each minute wasted. I think
they should be allowed to talk and enjoy the space, my current project
requires them to be up and around getting paints, glue gun, and supplies
so they can't be seated and they have a hard time with freedom.

I also confer with all the specials teachers, we all have the same
troubles with this group, great hearts but a bit young and boisterous.
And we are all using the same method.

My group hates losing recess. However, I am meeting with the parent of
one child who seems to instigate most of the issues. I am meeting with
the the mom and a few Junior High teachers so she can get the full
understanding of the issues. So use the Junior High teachers to help
back you up also.