[teacherartexchange] Wheel Delema

---------

From: suzanne rowe (mtsuz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Sep 20 2008 - 07:03:03 PDT

I have another question pop up.

I am working in a smallish k-8 school. We have a great art room but only have one wheel. I have told students will will be working with clay on their spring rotation in class. I  see them for an hour twice a week for 6 weeks and then the second group comes in. Then I see them twice a week for 6 weeks again in spring.

So I guess I really have two problems being able to teach wheel throwing with one wheel to 25 kids would be hard enough if I had them every day for the entire year but I only have them twice a week for 6 weeks at a time.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to use the wheel at all! I have thought and thought about it. It takes more then an hour twice a week for 6 weeks for one student to become proficient at throwing on the wheel much less trying to teach 25 students in the same time.

So far I have just decided to stick to hand building this year. And I may be able to get the school to purchase more wheels for next year.  Or I may be able to find one or two used in the course of the year to come.

It was interesting at the Open House the school put on last week. Most of the parents were unaware that art was not offered every day all year for the 6-8 students and that the lower elementary students only had art 3 times a year, once a week for 4 weeks.

MT Suz