Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

RE: [teacherartexchange] what do you do about too loud voice level??

From: San D Hasselman (shasselman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Sep 19 2008 - 15:54:19 PDT

I don't have problems with noise except on those days prior to vacation days when they are all revved up. That said, I DO allow them to wear headphones and listen to their own music while working (not while I lecture/demonstrate), and that probably keeps them in their individual little worlds while they work. Some choose not to, and if their conversation gets to where I can hear it across the room, I turn into a little busybody and add to their conversation from across the room, and then they are embarrassed that I do that, so they lower their voices. When I taught ceramics (back in the day), I broke the class up into two groups (which rotated half way through), the handbuilders and the wheel throwers. And then broke the wheel throwers into pairs to mentor/train/guide each other on the wheels. So essentially I have smaller groups working in clay, and that also kept the conversations "local" as well.

San D

> Hello!
> I teaching high school ceramics and have been having problems with too loud voice levels during studio time. I've been giving the whole class a warning and then if the voice level doesn't change, I make it silent time the remainder of the period and give detentions to those that are talking. However, this isn't working. I still have to do this very frequently. Do you have any ideas for how to maintain a quiet, workable environment during studio time?
> Thanks!!

To unsubscribe go to