RE: [teacherartexchange] Digital curriculum

---------

Laura.Drietz_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Mon Sep 15 2008 - 11:07:16 PDT

We have a Canon Power Shot A550 for each of our art rooms. I've been very happy with them.

Personally, I have had problems with each Kodak camera I've owned. Lenses sticking shut, battery doors that break then won't stay shut, lots of little issues. My current home camera is a Sony that is 4 years old now, and still working great, the only issues I have had are pure abuse from my kids, not a defect with the camera.

The things I would NOT be concerned about are a big zoom lens. MOST pictures do not need that, and it seems the more zoom you have, the more problems with lenses, not to mention the size of the camera, my personal one has a 12x zoom lens, and the lens is FAR larger then the camera, actually making it awkward to carry around. But you want ACTUAL zoom, not DIGITAL, all the digital does is crops the picture, you don't get the quality of a physical zoom lens. Also mega pixel size. Anything over a 6 is really not necessary, keep costs down by this. Unless you plan on printing off prints that are poster size, the size of the pictures is not that much of an issue. I had digital portfolios of all my students' artwork for one year. Used up all my state web space, because my pictures were such big files, even when I re-sized them. Just something to keep in mind.

The card reader is a great idea, also a ton of rechargeable batteries if you're getting a camera that uses "regular" batteries.

Laura Drietz
Art Teacher
Brookings Middle School
E-mail laura.drietz@k12.sd.us