Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: [teacherartexchange] wire for sculpture

From: Sharon (sharon_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Sep 13 2008 - 06:10:22 PDT

The best wire I've found for sculpture is scrap entrance cable. Every
couple of years I crawl around in a local electrician's shed and get
sections of entrance cable wire that are usually 2-3 ft long.

While I don't normally "hotlink" here's a link that shows what it looks like:

Once I have it, it's labor-intensive to deal with because you have to
cut away all the insulation and then unwrap all the wires. But once
you've got it separated, it's very strong, very pliable and easy to

Since this doesn't contain copper wire (which I'm pretty sure no one
would donate these days, due to the cost!) you might be able to find
an electrician who'd be willing to give you some scrap pieces.

Good luck!

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 1:48 PM, Rebecca Burch <> wrote:
> Where is the best place to purchase (cheap!!!!) or request donations
> of wire for sculpture? My longtime donor from the phone company
> retired, and I'm hitting dead-ends with requests for donations.
> (Apparently, people are stealing wire from worksites for the metal, so
> every scrap has to be accounted for in most places.)
> I would even be willing to buy large rolls/spools of it, but it has to
> be cost-effective.
> Suggestions?
> Thanks!
> -b-