Re: [teacherartexchange] wire for sculpture

---------

From: Sharon (sharon_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Sep 13 2008 - 06:10:22 PDT

The best wire I've found for sculpture is scrap entrance cable. Every
couple of years I crawl around in a local electrician's shed and get
sections of entrance cable wire that are usually 2-3 ft long.

While I don't normally "hotlink" here's a link that shows what it looks like:
http://www.mclendons.com/img/products/10/10498050.jpg

Once I have it, it's labor-intensive to deal with because you have to
cut away all the insulation and then unwrap all the wires. But once
you've got it separated, it's very strong, very pliable and easy to
cut.

Since this doesn't contain copper wire (which I'm pretty sure no one
would donate these days, due to the cost!) you might be able to find
an electrician who'd be willing to give you some scrap pieces.

Good luck!

--
Sharon
www.art-rageous.net