Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: [teacherartexchange] Teaching to Observe

From: Sharon (sharon_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Sep 11 2008 - 16:42:57 PDT

>>Does anyone have a good example to teach kids to draw what they ACTUALLY
>>see, not just what they think they know it looks like? . . .

Another thing I do with my Art 1 students is have them "draw what they
feel". This helps them better understand the concept of contour

Paper lunch bags are numbered, and each bag contains one small,
strange item (a dinosaur key chain, an old-style fuse, guitar string
winder and other things they probably won't be able to identify by

They put their "non-drawing" hand into the bag and then draw the
object based on their sense of touch. When they finish drawing an
item, they return the bag to the table and get another. They spend
about 1/2 an hour with this exercise and it really does help them
"get" it.

To unsubscribe go to