Re: [teacherartexchange] Subject: Teaching to Observe

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Sep 11 2008 - 15:51:34 PDT

On Sep 11, 2008, at 4:18 PM, Boots13@aol.com wrote:

> I make sure my students are sitting directly in front of what they
> are drawing.
> I also have a list of "Observational Drawing Cmmmandments" on
> chart paper
> that I made and we went over, like looking at the object 80% and
> looking "down"
> 20%, etc.

I would add that they should not move their eyes from the original
position they
began observing/drawing from. Any move higher, lower or to the side
will shift
the relationship of any lines in relation to each other. Of course
they should
never move the object they are drawing. This is always an issue when
more
than one student is drawing the same object. I try to get them to
copy the lines,
ie edges they see before them - trying never to think about what the
object is
so they are using only the right brain. Silence during these drawing
lessons
is important. Words will trigger the left brain. If you play music at
some point
be sure there are no lyrics. I preferred jazz or Native American
flute music.
Good observational drawing is simply copying what you see before you.
In the Renaissance, artists traced the 3-D world before them on a
sheet of
glass keeping their point of view constant by resting their face
against a
brace attached to the sheet of glass. This kept them from moving their
eyes. Also, you might suggest that students draw with one eye closed
to restrict binocular vision.
                                        Good Luck, Woody
Do stress that you are teaching them how to see rather than how to draw.

> They do detailed contour drawings of their book-bags on
> mini-easels on the desk.
> They find that when I walk around and say "where is that in your
> bookbag?"
> or "where is that in your drawing?"
> Not sure if this helped......
> Does anyone have a handout that might help introduce shading? What
> are the
> best artists to use as reference?
>
> Thanks!!
> terri
>

> **************Psssst...Have you heard the news? There's a new
> fashion blog,
> plus the latest fall trends and hair styles at StyleList.com.
> (http://www.stylelist.com/trends?ncid=aolsty00050000000014)
>
> ---
> To unsubscribe go to

Read My Blog: