Re: [teacherartexchange] Teaching to Observe

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (SMILLER_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Sep 11 2008 - 12:23:20 PDT

Why don't you pick something that they are totally unfamiliar with so that they really
have to keep looking. Their locker is too familiar.

>>> "Chantal Pinnow" <cpinnow@yisseoul.org> 9/10/2008 10:47 pm >>>

 Does anyone have a good example to teach kids to draw what they ACTUALLY
see, not just what they think they know it looks like? My class was doing an
observation painting of their open lockers. I got very frustrated with kids
who after a couple of days, didn't even have their locker open or wouldn't
rearrange their books the same way as they drew it on the first day. Their
answer was always "I know what it looks like." My question is "How do you do
an observation drawing if you aren't observing anything?" I understand that
some artwork is from memory or imagination, but we are doing observation
paintings.

I would like a way to show them that you may THINK you know what something
looks like, but when you actually take time to observe you may notice things
are quite different. Sorry for the rant. That class just left and I was a
bit frustrated with them.
Chantal

-*Scanned by ECSD GWAVA*-