Re: [teacherartexchange] Teaching to Observe

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Sep 11 2008 - 07:50:23 PDT

I'm sure you will get lots of good advice - but my two cents is:
Always start with a very simple object so they won't be distracted
by clutter. When they start to draw "what they see" then add additional
items. But insist that they ignore everything but the one item they
are drawing before tackling the next. When I have students draw
a vase of flowers I insist that the work on one shape (leaf or
pedal) at a time - then moving to the adjacent shape. Do read
Dr. Betty Edwards "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain".
It's chock full of logical steps to teach observational drawing
skills.
                                                Woody

On Sep 10, 2008, at 11:47 PM, Chantal Pinnow wrote:

> Does anyone have a good example to teach kids to draw what they
> ACTUALLY
> see, not just what they think they know it looks like? My class was
> doing an
> observation painting of their open lockers. I got very frustrated
> with kids
> who after a couple of days, didn't even have their locker open or
> wouldn't
> rearrange their books the same way as they drew it on the first
> day. Their
> answer was always "I know what it looks like." My question is "How
> do you do
> an observation drawing if you aren't observing anything?" I
> understand that
> some artwork is from memory or imagination, but we are doing
> observation
> paintings.
>
> I would like a way to show them that you may THINK you know what
> something
> looks like, but when you actually take time to observe you may
> notice things
> are quite different. Sorry for the rant. That class just left and I
> was a
> bit frustrated with them.
> Chantal

Woody, Retired in Albuquerque