Re: [teacherartexchange] Teaching to Observe

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Sep 11 2008 - 04:43:15 PDT

My favorite is to have them first draw an Oreo cookie from memory on a
folded sheet of paper. Then I give them an actual cookie to draw on the
other 1/2 of the paper. They are always amazed at the detail they see once
they have the actual product in front of them. THEN I won't allow them to
slack on me. If your students are supposed to be drawing from observation &
they start drawing from memory, I would just say "you drew from observation
on days 1 & 2, day 3 you drew from memory. Since the assignment was to draw
from observation you have earned 2/3 of the grade". Don't allow them to make
the rules.
~Michal