Re: [teacherartexchange] Help! new preschool assignment

---------

From: Denise Pannell (cen_aca_dp_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Sep 10 2008 - 18:09:05 PDT

On Wed 10/09/08 7:07 PM , robin phillips robinmcp@hotmail.com sent:

> Help! I just found out that I will be "teaching" art to a group
> of 20 preschoolers in about 2 weeks!
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I teach a group of 30 (split into 2 classes) of "Young Fives" (basically pre-K or developmental K) for 40 minutes on a rotating
schedule. They are a challenging, but very creative group of kiddos! Be aware that many of them will not be able to hold a pair of
scissors let alone write their own names. That being said, don't be afraid to challenge them by introducing the elements &
principles even at this young age! We talk about artists, listen to music, read books- anything that may inspire creativity. I
have found that if I break my lessons down into several smaller steps, they tend not to get bored as easily. For instance, 10
minutes of drawing followed by 10 minutes of cutting, finished by 10 minutes of gluing.

Often, I send home a letter at the beginning of the year to the parents explaining that at this age, art is more about the
experience rather than the finished product, so they should not be worried if their "Little Picasso" brings home something that is
unrecognizable because they are definitely being creative. I also am sure to post a sign at our annual art show that says "It's
the Process, Not the Product!"

You can see some of my students' artwork here:
Primary Lines:
http://www.artsonia.com/museum/gallery.asp?exhibit=88578

Secondary Shapes:
http://www.artsonia.com/museum/gallery.asp?exhibit=88638

Magic Glue Windows:
http://www.artsonia.com/museum/gallery.asp?exhibit=98408

Kandinsky Colors:
http://www.artsonia.com/museum/gallery.asp?exhibit=108467

Joseph Cornell Boxes:
http://www.artsonia.com/museum/gallery.asp?exhibit=81558

Joan Miro Dreamscapes:
http://www.artsonia.com/museum/gallery.asp?exhibit=67640

If you want to see more, follow the link below, in my signature. :)
Good luck!!

Denise Pannell