RE:[teacherartexchange] loose graphite/charcoal management

---------

From: Peshette, Alix (apeshette_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Sep 10 2008 - 09:30:12 PDT

Betty,
I'm glad to hear that the vice-principal called wanting to solve the
problem with better equipment. Like Ken, I don't know what loose
graphite and charcoal are, but I can guess at the set-up and cleaning
issues. Some thoughts that come to mind are:

Like glitter (I laughed out loud about your vice-principal's comments on
her glitter use), maybe the students need to be working in an
environment that has an edge - like inside the lid of a paper box. This
way the graphite will have more containment.

If this stuff has a tendency to be somewhat airborne, maybe it needs to
be used in what would be a "spray painting booth." One can build one
these with PVC pipe and fittings (no glue so that it can be
disassembled) and a roll of plastic sheeting from the local hardware big
box store. The booth can sit on a table top or be a full-size walk-in.

I totally appreciate the conundrum of messy art and custodians. I once
did a three-week paper mache skeleton project for Dia de Los Muertos
with 7th graders in a portable classroom that had carpeting. The
students' skeletons were fabulous, but the room was never quite the
same! LOL! I was also very, very, very nice to my custodian for the
rest of my time in that classroom!

-Alix
(former junior high art teacher)

Alix E. Peshette
Instructional Technology Coordinator
Placer County Office of Education
360 Nevada St.
Auburn, CA. 95603 USA
530-889-5976
apeshette@placercoe.k12.ca.us
http://www.placercoe.k12.ca.us
Blog: http://www.k12hsn.org/edzone/blogs.php/alixpeshette/
http://del.icio.us/artfully

"Technology - opening minds with a new set of keys"

NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole
use of the intended recipient or recipients and may contain confidential
and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient or
agent thereof, be advised that you have received this e-mail in error
and any use, dissemination, disclosure, forwarding, printing, copying,
or any action taken in reliance on the contents of this e-mail is
strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please
notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete the original
message, attachments, and all copies of the original message from your
system.

Please note that any views and/or opinions presented in this e-mail are
Placer County Office of Education.

Finally, the recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for
the presence of viruses. Although the Placer County Office of Education
has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in
this e-mail, it accepts no liability for any loss or damage arising from
the use of this e-mail or attachments.