[teacherartexchange] loose graphite

---------

From: Pam Wellington (loveart_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Sep 10 2008 - 07:56:42 PDT

Dear Betty,
When I use charcoal I give the students a dust pan and have them sweep all the looose charcoal which is on the table and any that landed on the floor into the pan and into the trash. HOWEVER, you never, ever need to apologize for making a mess in the art room! Don't ever apologize to anyone for it! Art classes are MESSY. The job of the custodian is to CLEAN. That is what he/she gets PAID to do. It is rediculous for any administrator to even give an ear to any custodian complaining about having to clean up a legitimate mess made in any room! But ART?! Don't let it get to you. The custodian who complained is the one who should be in trouble, not you! As long as the mess is reasonable, not deliberate or over the top.
Pam Wellington
Art Dept. Chair
Boiling Springs H.S
Boiling Springs,Pa