[teacherartexchange] loose graphite/charcoal

---------

From: Deanna Bowers (dbowers_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 09 2008 - 13:52:07 PDT

I cannot say that I have never heard a custodian complain about my room,
but like you, I try my best to make their job easier. Unfortunately, I
don't have any words of wisdom to help you use these materials in a
"clean way," but I am sure others will. I think what you are doing, and
mats on the way out, sounds great. I just can't believe that the
custodian and the principal would treat you that way. When I was in
college, I had a work study job where I had to clean in the art
department. It wasn't easy, or clean... but I did it, that was my job.
For myself, I just apologize to the custodians when I do messy projects,
but it is just part of their job... and of course the students are
responsible for cleaning up after themselves and keeping things clean as
well. But by all means, DO the work with the charcoal and graphite.
Don't let them dictate that. :-) Good luck, Deanna, California