[teacherartexchange] 10 Teaching and Learning Strategies in a Choice Based Art Program

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Sep 08 2008 - 10:29:49 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

You folks who are also Choice Based teachers will see how far behind I
am in reading the TAB Yahoo list digest....

This article by Nan Hathaway is in the September Arts & Activities issue:
10 Teaching and Learning Strategies in a Choice Based Art Program:
http://www.teachingforartisticbehavior.org/10_Teaching_Strategies%20Hathaway.pdf

Nan has posted it to the TAB Web Site (with permission from A & A):
http://www.teachingforartisticbehavior.org/index.html

Summary from Nan:
>> In a choice-based art classroom, students are doing the authentic work of real artists every day.
The focus is squarely on learning. It is acknowledged that all
learners of all ages and at all levels can
also take the role of teacher, and that teachers are also learners.
The environment is carefully designed
and appointed to facilitate for diverse learners and to provide
multiple entry points. The 10 teaching and
learning strategies outlined here combine to form a multifaceted,
elegant environment for student learning.
In this setting, individuality, flexibility, personal relevancy,
independence and accountability are valued
and supported.

Article is good reading.

Regards,

Judy Decker