Re:[teacherartexchange] artist in residence

---------

From: Ruby Re-Usable (rubyreusable_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Sep 07 2008 - 09:56:35 PDT

Hey Katrina, what state are you in? Do all 50 states have a teaching
artist roster/artist-in-residence program like Washington State?

THANKS for reminding folks that artists in the schools are independent
contractors, so that our hourly wage does not reflect the fact that we
pay a lot in taxes and do not get benefits like health insurance,
vacation, etc and that we spend a lot of time on planning and prep
(well, the good ones at any rate), all on top of our other job(s) of
being practicing professional artists that exhibit in juried shows,
galleries museums, etc

The last time I did a gig at a museum I was paid $500, this included
planning and prep as well as actual contact time of 4 hours, I felt
like a rock star!

Ruby Re-Usable
check out my recycled art blog: www.rubyreusable.com/artblog