[teacherartexchange] artist in the schools

---------

From: Ruby Re-Usable (rubyreusable_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Sep 05 2008 - 08:52:25 PDT

In Washington State, the WA State Arts Commission has a roster of
teaching artists, who have gone through a rigorous juried application
process. (I have been on that roster for 8 years; I am also part of
the Pierce County roster of artists-in-the schools). Many states have
this kind of list of artists who are not only talented in their media
but have experience working with teachers and students.

Artists of this caliber generally expect $50/hour, 4 hours/day
(flexible, but I will not teach more than 4 classes/day, and each
class is usually one hour). If the site is more than 60 miles away
from home (one way), the hourly increases to $60/hour. With gas
prices the way they are now, reimbursement for mileage has become the
norm.

Supplies are extra and generally gathered by the school (I do mixed
recycled media, so I often bring extra materials, and also have the
students collect stuff, too).

I usually do a demo, have various kinds of motivational sets, include
the students in discussions and try to have a closure activity; if it
is a one day or two week residency, there is always a hands-on
component.

I also do teachers' workshops before I come into the classroom, in
order to give the teachers a deeper understanding of what my media
entails (includes power point of a wide array of artists who work with
recycled media). AND there is often a community event/display of
students' work, too!

good luck, let us know what you wind up doing. What do other states
re: artists in the schools do? love, etc Ruby Re-Usable