Re:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: September 03, 2008

---------

From: Lois Girbino (lgirbino_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Sep 04 2008 - 07:48:44 PDT

I think two different things got confused---identifying for giftedness
in the arts (how to do), and how to set up an art club. I let ANY
student who wants to do it, do art club. But, if there are parents who
insist on additional enrichment for their art students from the
district, without extra funds nor extra time, short of adding another
class (and we are all booked solid with nary a planning period), the
art club is also there as an option for them. Two distinct & separate
topics . I agree that desire trumps raw talent , so we need to embrace
all comers in art. In the past, my art club has included autistic
students, students with special needs, and special buddies, as well
as art 24/7 students. I'm still learning as an artist myself.