[teacherartexchange] Assessment in Art - When ?

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Sep 03 2008 - 15:45:50 PDT

I read with interest the article "Measuring Student Learning in Art
Education" by Donald D Gruber.
It's in the September issue of "Art Education". It is a very thorough
article covering various ways
learning might be measured in the art classroom. But, I find one
major aspect lacking. From the
course I took last semester called "The Art of Teaching in the
Museum" I was made aware of the
question - "When does learning take place ?" I believe this question
applies to learning in art
in the classroom as well as a museum setting. Our students bring
their previous learning and
experiences to our classrooms. We expose them to a myriad of
stimulus, lessons, projects, media,
artists, etc. All these experiences are hopefully both valid and
fruitful in shaping young minds.
But - "When does learning really occur ?" Can we measure learning
after each project ? Or do
we assess learning at the end of the course ?" I suggest that we can
not be sure when learning
occurs. I suggest that it may occur next year in a math or literature
class. Perhaps it will occur
one summer on a family vacation or when attending a concert. Who is
to say when the connections
click in and the mind discovers what that moment in art class really
meant. Perhaps it is an
ongoing process that we had some small part in sparking years before
but could not be
measured at the end of the semester. I'm including a link to a photo
of myself and a student from
1980. Many of the things Jayana learned in my art class became an
internal part of her makeup.
She wrote me earlier this year to explain how when she became a
mother she took her
daughter on regular "Mother-Daughter" museum trips. Jay explained how
she still, today
speaks to women's groups and references "Right Brain" things she
learned about in my
art class. So, the question is - "When do we assess learning in art ?"

Here is a link to the the photo from 1980:
http://www.taospaint.com/WoodysBlog08/JayanaAndMrD.jpg

Here is a link to quotes from Jayana's e-mail to me on my blog of
9/3/08:
http://www.taospaint.com/WoodysBlog08/September.html

                        When do we assess learning in art ? - Woody

Read My Blog:
http://www.taospaint.com/WoodysBlog08/September.html

Watercolors on Note Cards

35 Quality Middle School Art Lessons