[teacherartexchange] Melissa's adventures in India

---------

From: Melissa Enderle (melissaenderle_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Sep 03 2008 - 14:34:42 PDT

Dear ArtsEdNet Folks,

I have now been in Chennai, India for over a month. Actually, we have
over a month in of school already!
On my blog http://melissaenderle.blogspot.com I have been recording
observations of everyday items, special events (including festivals),
and travels. Less known than northern India, the southern state of
Tamil Nadu has much to offer as well. Its temples are particularly
beautiful and incredibly detailed. Although Hinduism is the dominant
religion here, there also is a much stronger presence of Christianity,
adding special flavor to the mix, including an event currently going
on in honor of the Virgin Mary. Like in Mexico, Catholicism in India
has been moulded and modified to be more fitting to the Indian culture.
I have also placed many of my photos on my Flicker site http://www.flickr.com/photos/melissaenderle/
. Some images may be a good resource for your class. If you would like
a larger size, I'll be happy to email it to you. I can also explain
the "story" behind the photo.

I consider myself a resource to you art teachers, even though I
currently am not teaching art. My photos and experiences can offer a
more personal view of the under-served regions of the world in which I
have so far lived: Africa (Mali & Tunisia), Eastern Europe (Serbia),
and now Asia (India).

Regards,
Melissa