Re:[teacherartexchange] identifying gifted kids for after school club

---------

From: marcia (marciadotcom_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Sep 03 2008 - 05:38:58 PDT

I just want to put the other side out there for teachers who are thinking about making art club and exclusive gifted club. I was not very good at art in elementary, middle or even high school, but I LOVED it. I couldn't figure out perspective for the life of me and I really just wasn't that great at drawing. I've always really really liked art though. I'm very lucky that my college program didn't institute portfolio requirements until after I got accepted! I improved greatly in my college courses, because I was willing to spend the hours to master the basic skills in drawing, clay, photography and so forth. I never even thought I was "good enough" to major in art until I had a general studies art teacher write me a really nice note about joining the program. Since I am a firm believer that art skills can be taught to those who are open and willing to put in the time, I highly recommend considering effort and enthusiasm rather than simply art
 skills when choosing members of art club. OR, if you have that many kids who signed up and returned a permission slip, structure it so that it is one semester long, with 2 different art clubs.. OR enlist a parent volunteer or another artsy teacher to help. Now, don't get me started on competitive sports!