Re: [teacherartexchange] Yearbook first month suggestions

---------

From: Sharon (sharon_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 02 2008 - 18:35:03 PDT

How many students do you have? And how big is your school?

Our school is very small (150 students) and their academic schedules
have to be set first, before any elective periods are assigned.
Electives are the last thing figured into the equation and so I have
mixed levels in all periods. This year I've got Art 1, Art 2,
Advanced Art, Honors Art, an 8th grade art class (which will meet just
second semester during my planning period...ugh) and Independent Study
Graphic Design/Yearbook.

Each year I have just one or two student "helpers" who are in the
official Yearbook class and who receive a grade for it. The one or
two students in the class assist with the production of many of the
pages (sports, clubs, service groups, etc.) but I do the actual work
on all of the other pages. Lots of other students (including those in
advanced photo) assist with picture taking and organizational things,
but they're not in a "class" and they don't receive credit. We let
them list "yearbook" on transcripts, however.

January and February are the real crunch times re: page creation
because I do all of the work at home in the evenings. I also work
during the first part of our spring break in order to meet our
deadline with the publisher.

Our publisher is Walter's Publishing and the entire yearbook is
created in Photoshop as .pdf files (i.e. "Total Digital" plan).

We've just started school (today was day 4 of classes) and my ONE
yearbook helper has been asked to start a list of sections that we
need to include and things that we need to change (more blank pages at
the back for kids to sign, for example). She also has a non-yearbook
(but computer-based) project to work on for the next several
days--she's to create a mock movie poster (based on an opening project
I have all new-to-me students do:
http://www.art-rageous.net/MoviePosters.html ) I have two other
new-to-the-school seniors who are interested in helping and as I get
to know them and assess their skills and dependability, I might move
them back and forth between studio art and graphic design, although
their credit will still be in studio art.

Now that I have all the proverbial plates spinning (since I missed my
true calling as a plate spinner in the circus....sigh...), I can help
my yearbook person with her Photoshop skills in terms of adding and
resizing images, working with layers and text, etc--all skills she'll
need as she begins working on the pages. She'll also be doing
tutorials from online sources and the Photoshop "Classroom in a Book".

Last year I had two students and I came up with similar projects to
help them gain skills and keep them busy during times that there's not
that much to do with the yearbook.

Students who "enroll" in this class are essentially hand-picked and
have to fill out a job application before I'll "hire" them. I usually
have seniors working with me on it, and they understand that a lot of
it will be independent work.

While *I've* got a lot of experience, now, in creating yearbooks, I
honestly don't know how I'd handle a whole classroom full of kids!
Best of luck to you!

--
Sharon
www.art-rageous.net