Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: September 01, 2008

From: Lois Girbino (lgirbino_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 02 2008 - 15:03:27 PDT

Okay, this is for the art teacher who is being forced to do a lottery
for afterschool art enrichments....We DO identify for giftedness in
the visual arts in our district (which legally, everyone should be
doing---gifted kids need enrichments as much as other students need
interventions). We use a portfolio assessment using our state (Ohio)
rubric, with a full day release for the entire art dept., k-12. I have
parents tearfully thanking me for recognizing their student's
potential! Why is this important? Well, stats tell us that 10% of the
population is gifted in some area. Art is a powerful area of knowledge
that feeds the mind; let's elevate it to the other content areas!
After identification, students are better informed to make elective
choices when they get to middle school & high school. As for
enrichment, if you differentiate, having the assessment information
helps you meet the student's needs better, especially if you have
hundreds & hundreds of students. Having an art club is nice, but I let
students volunteer for that, sometimes gifted students are already
heavily scheduled. At the state level, they are pretty specific about
gifted identification, and there is usually a person to call. Most
counties have a gifted person or two also, which may be the place to
Either way, parents usually appreciate knowing where their students
"shine", and then they can make more informed decisions.

To unsubscribe go to