Re:[teacherartexchange] teacherartexchange digest: September 01, 2008

---------

From: Lois Girbino (lgirbino_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 02 2008 - 15:03:27 PDT

Okay, this is for the art teacher who is being forced to do a lottery
for afterschool art enrichments....We DO identify for giftedness in
the visual arts in our district (which legally, everyone should be
doing---gifted kids need enrichments as much as other students need
interventions). We use a portfolio assessment using our state (Ohio)
rubric, with a full day release for the entire art dept., k-12. I have
parents tearfully thanking me for recognizing their student's
potential! Why is this important? Well, stats tell us that 10% of the
population is gifted in some area. Art is a powerful area of knowledge
that feeds the mind; let's elevate it to the other content areas!
After identification, students are better informed to make elective
choices when they get to middle school & high school. As for
enrichment, if you differentiate, having the assessment information
helps you meet the student's needs better, especially if you have
hundreds & hundreds of students. Having an art club is nice, but I let
students volunteer for that, sometimes gifted students are already
heavily scheduled. At the state level, they are pretty specific about
gifted identification, and there is usually a person to call. Most
counties have a gifted person or two also, which may be the place to
start.
Either way, parents usually appreciate knowing where their students
"shine", and then they can make more informed decisions.