[teacherartexchange] Math in Art

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Sep 02 2008 - 11:53:32 PDT

I'm planning a workshop on constructing the five regular polyhedra,
known as the Platonic solids.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regular_polyhedra

How can the regular polygon (pentagon) be constructed using a
compass and ruler ?

I want to avoid using either a prepared template or a protractor.

A square, equilateral triangle are no problem but how do you construct a

pentagon using only a ruler and a compass ?

Showing the student how to construct a regular polygon with a compass
and ruler, helps them to think

deeper and probably come with good ideas that can be used to
created other figures.

I admit to using a template for the pentagon with my students because
no math

teacher was able to show me how to do it otherwise.

                                                        Woody

Read My Blog:
http://www.taospaint.com/WoodysBlog08/September.html

Watercolors on Note Cards