RE: [teacherartexchange] Enrichment classes

---------

From: San D Hasselman (shasselman_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Sep 01 2008 - 06:41:00 PDT

In the past I was the Gifted and Talented teacher in my high school. At the inception of the program, there was a committee that chose students who were eligible based on test scores and "talent". Then it fell to the teacher to make decisions after interviewing students. Since I personally feel that everyone has gifts and talents and it is up to me to help them "find them", I accepted a whole array of students that in a sense complimented each other in the class with differing opinions, strengths, gifts and talents. The program ran for about 20 years, no problem. Then a new administration felt that a gifted and talented program should mean competitons and robotics (as compared to a large end of the year format where students presented their year long project and taught a workshop on what they learned). Then there was no program because they decided to take the resources and concentrate on the elementary schools' gifted program (where there had been none before and the parents are more involved).

My point? Are you willing to give up the program, or can you help craft what you want the program to be? If you are only allowed to pick from the 5th graders, do you have to justify why some are "in" and some are "out"? Do you have to accept everyone? Perhaps a committee formatt to help select students would take the pressure of off you in the selections. Also, are you assigned this program? If you are not, perhaps you might want to start an art club instead, where you can decide the who's what's why's and when.

San D